Palak Chole or Chickpeas and Spinach. This is a very easy recipe to whip up. Do yourself a favor and use low sodium canned items. The ingredient list is mostly spices, so don’t let it scare you. It happens to be vegan, too. Can someone tell me if this is gluten free? I think it is.
- 1 can of low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 2 cups of frozen spinach leaves, chopped (or 3 cups of fresh)
- 1 can of sodium free diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 green chile, chopped
- 1/2 inch chunk of fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 tsp onion or garlic powder (not salt)
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp of garam masala
Blend together the tomatoes, ginger, and green chile to make a puree. Set aside.
In a sauce pan over medium heat, add the coconut oil. Put in a cumin seed to see if it pops. If it does, the oil is hot enough. Add the rest of the cumin seeds and stir for 30 seconds. They will all pop. Slowly add in the tomato puree, being careful of splattering.
Then add the coriander, turmeric, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Cook this mixture over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. It will reduce by about half.
If the mixture is a little dry, add some of the water. It will be drier if you use fresh spinach. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, checking periodically to make sure there is enough water to make a sauce. I used about 1/2 cup for mine.
If you like, you can mash some of the chick peas to make it thicker. Add in the garam masala and serve!
The whole batch is about 610 calories. Isn’t that awesome! Split into 3 portions for a light meal or side dish, or divide it in 2 for a main dish.
– Fresh or frozen spinach will do. I used frozen spinach leaves, not cooked spinach. Water content will vary depending on what you use. I did not thaw my spinach before adding.
– You could use 2 whole fresh tomatoes instead of canned if you’ve got them.
– You could use any oil if you don’t have coconut.