Okay – this was very tasty and really easy to make:
- 1 medium apple (your favorite), chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2+ tablespoons cold water
In a small skillet, melt the butter and brown sugar together over medium heat:
Add the apple, cranberries, and cinnamon.
Saute for a couple minutes, then add the 1 tablespoon of water and cover. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
Add to the skillet.
Stir constantly for about 30 seconds until the sauce becomes clear and tightens up. You can add a little more water if it seems too dry.
Top waffles or pancakes with this!
– Substitute some chopped fresh cranberries for more tartness when they are in season.
– Experiment with different types of apples
– Use raisins instead of cranberries
Calories for this dish will depend a little on the size of the apple. On average, an apple is 60 calories for a medium, 1 tbsp of dried cranberries (10 g) is 30 calories, brown sugar 15 calories, butter 15 calories, cornstarch 10. So you can figure about 130 calories or so for this batch. I consider it one serving.