100-mile ride. AKA I am a centurian again!

Finished!  My summer goal complete.  No peloton, no lead out train, just me in my own private break away doing 100 miles.

Let’s ride, shall we?  I was up early to get an early start on the ride.  I did my standard fuel of banana custard oats with jam and coconut butter.

What a pretty day, right?  One of the reasons I chose to go for it today.  Since John has decided he didn’t need to do 100 miles again this year (smart guy), not to mention that his bike is out of commission right now,  I just wanted to finish it out.  I packed up my bike bag and got ready to roll.

I left at 8:00 a.m.

Went north first and it was a good start other than a pretty stiff head wind, which was going to annoy me a few times today.  I passed through farm country:


Hi Bessie, thanks for the milk and butter 😀

The traffic was heavier than I would have liked, and this road is 55 mph.  Most of the time there is a really wide shoulder, but I got to where it was more narrow.  It was starting to bother me.  I stopped at mile 17 for a pear.

This road looks peaceful, but the traffic was heavy.  I think a lot of people were going up to Whitehall to launch their boats.

The road got curvier up ahead, and I decided to turn around since the traffic was bothering me.  I was extra conscious of safety today being out by myself.

At mile 25, I stopped for another fruit fillup and to text John with my whereabouts.

Red plum!

I was making good time and feeling strong in the morning. Mile 35 was time for some more fuel. Approximately 5 miles from home.

I wanted more frequent smaller 100-200 calorie fuel ups today as that seems to be what works the best.  I ate 2 medjool dates here.

I rolled in to home for a lunch stop at mile 40.5.  Average speed for the first 40 miles was 13.6 mph. I could have eaten out, but figured I would just go home.  This was Heritage Days weekend and look what was going by the house just as I got home.

Parade!  They must have known I was doing 100 miles.  How nice of them 😀 I love bagpipes.

After chugging a bunch of water, I made a quick lunch.  Baked potato with laughing cow and ground pork with BBQ sauce – and my 4th serving of fruit for the day.

It felt good to get a real meal in.  Snacks are good and all, but sometimes you just want more.  I also had a couple handfuls of cashews.  I was home for about 45 minutes or so, then I headed back out after a 2nd application of sunscreen. Now I had the tailwind, and that was nice!  I was noticing the hills a bit in my quads at this point.  I stopped at mile 51 for refreshment – halfway done:

Coconut water love. I need them to sponsor me.

It was feeling pretty warm today.  Even though the temps were in the low 80s, it was sunny with a capital S!  And it was around 1:30 during this time.  John was actually coming down to Saratoga on his scooter to meet me after giving me an hour head start.  He passed me after I had been on the road about an hour.  I was surprised to see him, but it was a nice surprise when he pulled off the side of the road in front of me.  I forgot to take his picture.  I felt secure knowing that he was only going to be a few miles in front of me.

I was really feeling good.  I felt well prepared for this ride and it was going by fast!  I was surprised at how far along I was by the time I arrived to cupcakes!  Mile 62.  John was already in town, so I texted him to let him know I was there and I got my snack.

I had a large iced coffee with a macaroon.  I definitely like the pistachio one better, but they were out.

Also on board – a peanut butter cupcake!  This was really good.  The frosting was not super sweet or really heavy like peanut butter frosting can be.

My body was loving the instant carb hit from these.  I think I had burned 1800 calories by this point or so.  I actually was a little sad when I finished these because I wasn’t ready to be done LOL.

This was maybe a half hour break or so?  I lathered up with sunscreen again. Then, John walked me out to the bike and said the most horrible thing to me.  He said “So everything okay and no flats?”  Nooooo!!!!  I knew he jinxed me.

I knew the next 20 miles were going to be really tough.  It was right into the headwind and I had already done 60 miles on the day.  And it was tough.  And then at mile 70, there was this:

Yep.  I noticed I was getting a bit of a shimmy while riding (and not in my hips…) and checked my tire.  Not completely flat, but really soft.  That meant a slow leak.  I had thought about trying to keep it pumped up and keep going, but then I decided to just change it.  Cause  I am a rockstar and don’t need anyone to do it for me!  I had 2 people stop and ask me if I needed help, both of which when I was pretty much done and just adjusting the chain.

Now – I can change my tube, but it does take me a while.  That was more what bothered me than anything else was losing about 25 minutes with all that messing around.  I had texted John to update him, but I didn’t need him to come rescue me.

Back on the road and I had to stop 5 miles later  at mile 75 for another dried fruit hit.  Pineapple and dates.

That 25 minute stop used up some of my calorie stores.  I love the dried fruit, although I probably consumed some chain grease as well because my hands were dirty.

My original plan was to not stop at home for the rest of the ride, but I wanted to get another spare tube and properly fill up this tire.  I have a Schwinn portable pump, which actually doesn’t work the best.  John has a Pocket Rocket pump (Yes, please commence to laugh and snicker, because I am always making jokes about it),which I meant to take, but forgot. So I swung by home.

This was mile 85.5. Home pit stop meant dropping my bike lock, saving about a pound in my bag, plus grabbing another coconut water!  And a pointless potty stop.  I was just sweating it out before anything got to my bladder today, and I drank *a lot*.

It was about 5:15 at this point.  I really needed some pep talk to get out there and finish. I knew it was just a little over an hour left.

I have to admit that I struggled for the next 10 miles.  I was tired in funny places, like my wrists and my shoulders.  My legs felt pretty good.  I was also mentally fatigued.  That is really the hardest thing on the long rides.  I was losing some sharpness.  I would hit bumps that normally I would miss because my reaction time was delayed. And the last bit seemed to go on for-ever!

I stopped at mile 95 at a real wall.  I got off the bike and ate this granola bar.

I really just wanted to be done.  I didn’t want to go any further, yet I was so close. And I wanted some real food!  I had seen  some candy in the road, something like M&Ms, and there was a thought to stop and eat it.  5-second rule, right? Only who knows how long it was there.  That set off a giggling fit, so I knew I was really tired 😯

My quads ached when I stopped riding, so that was impetus enough to keep going.  I was so close.  The next couple of miles seemed interminably long.  Then when I was 3 miles from home and on the last bit, I got energized again.  I started pedaling faster to get home.  I watched the odometer roll over 100 miles and with a half mile to go,  then I thought “Hmmmm…. I should just keep going a little more to make it 101 miles.”  Was I insane?? I think so.  Obviously I reeled it in and just stopped.

I made it!

That, my friends, is delirium.  So, so glad to be done.  It was tough.  I physically could have gone further, but I was toast mentally.  I started the day at 8 a.m. and finished at about 6:40 p.m.  Not bad, really, with breaks and a flat tire change.

Ride stats:

Distance:  100.6 miles (161 km)

Ride time:  7 hours 30 minutes

Average speed 13.4 mph

Top speed: 27.4 mph

Calories burned: 3100 😯 😯

I took the most fabulous shower and then we went out to dinner.

I do actually clean up fairly well:

Then we hit up Olive Garden for a bigass pasta dinner!  I told the server I wanted a lot of water and this is what he brought me:

He said I sounded really serious LOL!

After scarfing bread sticks and salad, I had a big plate of ravioli:

Then I came home and ate M&Ms while watching the Tour.

Yay – I am done!  It felt good, but after doing this twice – no more.  I don’t need to be riding 100 miles again.  40 to 50 miles is plenty long enough.

So much more I could say, but this post is long enough for now. Thanks for reading!

Be Sociable, Share!

40 thoughts on “100-mile ride. AKA I am a centurian again!

  1. Alma

    Hi Lori, I enjoy reading your blog and this is my first time posting a comment. I just wanted to congratulate you on your 100 plus mile ride! Way to go!! I admire your determination and was eagerly waiting for your blog to see how your ride went. I enjoyed the ride with you.

  2. PTG1002

    WOW – what an amazing, epic ride! You did it! I give you even MORE credit with all the stops at home – not sure I would have kept going after so many stops. 🙂 Great job!
    PTG1002´s last blog post ..falling behind…

    1. Lori Post author

      The first time was planned and easy to leave. The 2nd time was really hard and I only went inside to refill my water bottle and go potty. Then I came back outside because I was afraid I wouldn’t leave!

  3. Kim

    I usually ride by myself and notice that when I ride with others how it seems to make the ride go so much faster. Since you usually ride with John I bet you really missed him. I’m just guessing, but I assume there is a synergy that comes from picking each other up a bit when one is getting tired. Way to go Lori, you rocked that CENTURY RIDE!

  4. LeAnn

    Wow!! Super job!! I like that you just did it.. not in a big event (big meaning a large number of people… cuz 100 miles is HUGE)… you’ve got me thinking… Thanks for a great read!

  5. debby

    You can say more! Love reading your adventures! So the big question is: did you have the M&Ms for a snack because of the power of suggestion–seeing them in the road? That was funny, seeing them and wanting to eat them. I actually can hardly imagine actually riding my bike 100 miles. Especially the coming home and going back out part. That part is amazing in a whole different way. I did like that you could get a healthy meal and not have to waste time waiting for it.
    debby´s last blog post ..Pondering

    1. Lori Post author

      LOL – the M&Ms were something John actually had and didn’t tell me he had! I had mentioned I wanted something chocolate after dinner and he said “Well, I don’t know if I should tell you, but…” and I made him bring them out 😀

  6. Shelley B

    Wow, what a ride! That is a long time to be doing something so physical!!! And I am impressed that you went back out for more after being home for lunch…that, mentally, must have been tough. Congratulations on riding a century! Great job – now where’s your medal?!?
    Shelley B´s last blog post ..Friday Mishmash – My Week in Pictures

    1. Lori Post author

      We wondered about that, except that for almost all of the flats we found some sort of foreign body. I think we just have an incredible streak of bad luck going on, plus using the trainer over the winter. I wanted to get a super puncture resistant tire, but they didn’t have my size and I have to order it.

  7. Linda @ Lemons

    That is amazing! Congratulations on your ride, and all alone too. What kind of bike do you ride, is it a hybrid with road bike tires? I have a hybrid and I’d like something a teeny bit faster, so I was thinking of changing the tires. I’m not ready for a road bike yet. Have you ever ridden a road bike?
    Linda @ Lemons´s last blog post ..Fitness and Weekend Wrap-Up

    1. Lori Post author

      I have a hybrid with thin tires. Not quite road bike tires, just a couple millimeters bigger. It is faster than my old hybrid.

      I am not ready for a road bike yet, as I like the comfort of the hybrid.

  8. Sarah

    That crash yesterday was — wow. Can you believe how many crashes there have been this year? It’s crazy. I’m glad your trip was good and crash free though 🙂
    Sarah´s last blog post ..The Slow Track

  9. Jody - Fit at 53

    Crap, I am exhausted after reading that!!!!!! Lori – you are amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I just could never envision myself doing that – but I don’t like bike riding either. 😉

    I love the pics of course BUT I LOVE THE LAST ONE OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

    YUM on those treats!!!
    Jody – Fit at 53´s last blog post ..Gratitude Monday

  10. Fran

    I’m so proud of you Lori! Well done my girl!

    And thank you for the lovely report of your ride.

    I would do the same as you and don’t do 100 miles again, especially since it took you all day. You know you can do it and don’t have to prove anything.

    Again: well done!
    Fran´s last blog post ..A day in my life: Saturday July 9, 2011

  11. Kalli

    Seriously girl you are a rockstar! I consider myself a cyclist but you put me to shame! Come out here and drag my sorry but around for a century please!

  12. Helen

    I just LOVE this! Congratulations on making that goal come true. The part where you considered eating the candy in the road? Those are the same exact type of hallucinations I usually get around mile 22 or 23 of a marathon. Yep, it means you’re tired. Great, great job!
    Helen´s last blog post ..If You Don’t Have Anything Nice to Say

  13. Sara

    Very impressive- you totally rule! The farthest I ever rode in one day was 90 miles (with a 3-mile climb at the halfway point…)
    Sara´s last blog post ..A to Z

  14. Dawn, Lay Down My Idols

    I’m tired too – just reading & watching! Great pics! Do you take a back pack along? And how do you plan your snacks, or do you just take a bunch of things & decide as you go? (I’d probably eat them all at one sitting…EEK!)
    CONGRATS! and I’m glad you’re safe too.
    Dawn, Lay Down My Idols´s last blog post ..In the Still of the Night…

  15. AJH

    This is very impressive. It is my goal but it won’t be this year. My goal for the summer is to do a 50 mile ride. I am up to 37 so I have no doubt I can do it. Loved the whole recount. I never thought of doing it somewhat near home so I could refresh there. Very impressed you can take care of your own tires. And I am also impressed you did it all alone.

  16. Ali

    Wow, I’m tired just thinking about this but what an accomplishment! Way to go!!

    How do you think you felt compared to the 100 miler last year?

    What’s your next goal?

    Hope you’re recovering well today. 🙂

  17. Roz

    Lori, you are my hero!!!! WAY TO GO!!!! Damn right there should be a parade for you!!! (Heritage schmeritage – that was for YOU!!!)
    Hope you are having a good restful day today!!!!!

  18. Susan

    I read the first sentence a few times, I love how you wrote it! Wonderful post on completing 100.6 (YES, you have to count the 0.6!) I am really proud of you for actually doing this a second time around, then having enough sense to maybe put it on hold for a while 😉 Despite the flat tire, at least there were no Tour-inspired crashes!
    Susan´s last blog post ..Scenes From The Hospital

  19. MB

    WOW! You are hardcore to do a 100 miles all by yourself. Lori’s Tour de’ Solo. I would be delirious after biking like that all day. Glad the waiter knew you were serious about rehydrating. I swear they must be paving the roads with glass up there with all the flat tires you and John have gotten this season. Congrats on getting it done!

  20. Shelly

    Congratulations on completing your century ride! Hope you recover quickly, so you can get out there and ride some more. You are somewhere in upstate NY, right? Was this a hilly route?

    1. Lori Post author

      It was hilly in parts. This mid section had a few miles of rolling hills there and back, but I have done those numerous times.

Comments are closed.