A side post today. I am patting myself on the back. Just ask John about how proud I am of my work! Here is the porch in all its glory. This was pretty much my project to do. John replaced the 2 rotten boards (thank you!), but left the rest to me. Not only did I do the floor, but I noticed peeling paint on the front wall, so I just went ahead and scraped and painted that, too. It ended up taking almost 5 weeks to finish (work, biking and life getting in the way… )
Before: We were testing a light versus dark color there.
The porch had multple layers of paint. Instead of scraping those up – whoever just painted right over, which just is a crappy thing to do because it peels back up again.
There was (in order from top coat down) a grey color, blue, white and on the front porch some of that awful glued down green felt. They painted right over that. Quality work, I tell you…
So, I used a heat gun to scrape up the layered stuff. I didn’t try on the single layer of paint because the surface of the wood was a little friable and would scrape off with the paint, so I only got off the loose stuff on the rest of the porch.
It always looks worse before it gets better!
from the doorway:
The front part of the porch.
Here is more where you can also see the wall that I painted.
Looking good for a 100+ year old house! Next big project is the inside flooring!