Well, my pants are a bit tight from the trip… and Christmas, so now is the time to refocus again. I am going to start a lifting program and I think I settled on doing the Female Body Breakthrough by Rachel Cosgrove again. Now I don’t necessarily care for her approach as far as trying to get women to lift with silly acronyms like BITCHH – Be Inspiring, Totally Confident and Hot, rocking the jeans, turning heads, etc., but I guess I understand if that is how she needs to hook the nonlifter. Those women who understand how strength training changes your body don’t need to be catered to like this. I much more prefer the approach written in New Rules of Lifting for Women.
Okay, I’ll get back on track again, sorry. 😳
For me, the eating style is pretty much what I try to do most times, but a bit stricter than I normally do (no sugar except on splurge meals). I didn’t really follow her eating plan too closely when I was doing this a couple years ago, but I am going to this time. I also am going to try something really radical for me, which is to not count calories. I am just going to write down what I ate in a notebook and stick to portions and see what happens. I have tracked food for years, but I thought this would be a good challenge for me. This is not moving towards intuitive eating at all – that just doesn’t work for me, which is okay. It’s just something to help make me very aware of what I am eating. I know that sounds odd to say considering I track my food, but the trackers I use have settings where you can have favorite meals set up or common foods and just add them with a click of a button, so you don’t pay attention as much. Does this make sense to anyone but me?
Basic plan is 5 to 6 eats per day (snack or meal). On lifting days, protein shake post workout. Meals should be as unprocessed as possible with protein and either a fruit or veggie with every meal or snack. Starchy carbs should not include bread or pasta, but things like oats, potatoes, corn tortillas, rice. Protein bar or shake in a pinch, not as part of the daily food.
The idea is to stay on track 90% of the time, which is the goal, and 10% of the meals are splurge meals where you can eat the things you aren’t eating the other 90% of the time. This includes bagels for me a couple times a week and a meal out (not that you can’t follow the guidelines eating out, but the option is there). 10% equals about 3 to 4 meals a week.
And yes, I know it isn’t the beginning of the month when I normally set goals for myself, but I need a mid winter push.
So, here is my example today of a nonlifting food day:
Brekkie – steel cut oats with egg whites whisked in, topped with a banana sauteed in a teaspoon of butter and cinnamon (plus coffee and almond milk).
Morning snack. Sometimes I am really hungry for a snack, sometimes I am fine until lunch. No rhyme or reason to it, either, so I have it if I want it – like today. Grapes and a portion of lean ham.
Lunch. This is turkey chili that I made just throwing ground turkey, canned tomatoes, a bit of onion, chili powder, a can of diced green chiles and some salt and pepper in a pot. Corn tortilla on the side. (This picture is last night’s dinner, but I had the same thing for lunch – only I ate it at the computer!)
Afternoon snack – latte and blueberries!
Dinner – Omelet made with 1 egg plus some egg whites to bulk it up. Topped with some parmesan cheese. Side of sauteed and shredded brussel sprouts.
Evening snack. 1/4 cup of ricotta mixed with 1/4 cup of pumpkin and a boatload of cinnamon. Plus about 1.5 walnuts that happened to be in the fridge. Not sure why a container with only this many nuts was in there, but there you go.
This is made up and in the fridge to have later. I was going to get closer with the picture, but then thought better of it 😀
Eyeballing the day puts this probably around 1400-1500 calories, but again, I am not counting them specifically.
I’ll talk about the strength part later and get back to listing what I do for that. It will definitely be part of Healthy Heart Weekend! I will state my power goal is to be able to do a 25# dumbbell shoulder press – without use of momentum. I got there before and I can do it again!