Where was I?? Oh yes, rehabbing. I never even got in a Friday What’s Blooming post! It’s just been a bit busy around here 😀
Now that we own the house, it was time to see all of the unknowns about the house. This house has had no water, power or gas for over a year in it, which is a little scary. So, these systems will get tested slowly.
Friday was probably the most frustrating day. The electrical was turned on Thursday, and that went well. We had the water turned on (only cold right now) and found broken pipes right away. I figured we would have problems with either the electric or the water, and hopefully not both. Turns out it was the water.
We capped one leak and tested the water again and got water pouring out of the ceiling in the basement. John was pretty freaked out, but my last rehab had broken pipes, so it wasn’t terribly surprising to see that. Unwanted, but not surprising. We pulled down some of the ceiling and found that leak, which was just the line to the outside, and we were able to close that off with the shut off. We were pretty tired that night and called it a day. Not a great start.
We took a ride Saturday morning. I have to tell you that my insomnia has been terrible all week. I have been getting about 5 hours a sleep for the past week and it is really taking its toll. I took a picture and noticed how tired I look LOL
Saturday was spent fixing pipes and me pulling some carpet. There is only carpet on the stairs and hallway upstairs. It was really, really nasty.
I knew there was wood under it, but didn’t know what shape it was in. Finally something good!
Once the leaks in the basement were fixed, we started opening the shutoffs to the first floor powder room. I do have to say that the bathroom smelled really, really bad and it turns out that someone left a ‘present’ in 2 of the toilets. I have an iron stomach, but this almost made me lose my lunch. The not fun part of this, I have to say. Anyway, the toilet needed a new wax ring because there was a leak, so while John continued fiddling with plumbing, I took off the toilet and cleaned it.
By the way – buy stock in disposable gloves because stores are going to need to restock 😀
Got it put back together and we have a functional bathroom! Felt good to have some success.
Wallpaper removal in this room some time in the future. It’s everywhere!!
Rehabbing work goes in fits and starts with progress. Somethings go way faster than expected and some things you just can’t believe how long it takes. Like removing this microwave. Someone had cut the power cord to this as well, so it wasn’t even functional.
For real, this took over an hour to get out. We had some instructions we found online, but it was missing a key point of hidden bolts. Then we finally got it out.
Sunday was a ton of wallpaper removal for me, along with putting cold water into the upstairs pipes and testing those, which haven’t leaked that we have found, thank goodness. We also filled the hot water tank, even though we don’t have the gas turned on, at least the tank doesn’t leak.
Here are some nicer pictures. This was our snack on Sunday. John was out and brought back coffee and a cookie to split. Eaten in our dining room 😀
This is the view of the garden from the dining room:
I can’t wait until I can get out there and work. I don’t know if I will get much done this fall in it. Depends on how the inside goes.
I did the kitchen video the other day, here is the dining room and living room.
I really wish I could just take some time off from work to get stuff done, but I don’t get paid time off and with owning 2 houses and $$ needed for rehab, it’s going to be evening work on the house (or daytime if I run out of work!). I’ll try not to make the blog completely about the new house, but we will be eating, breathing and sleeping it for a bit 😀