We are on Day 11 of the rehab? It’s all blurring into one LOL! This weekend had some progress and some setbacks.
First off, the wallpaper is pretty much gone in the kitchen! There are just a couple bits of the backing paper that I didn’t get off near the outlets John was working on this weekend. However, there is a lot of glue on the walls I have to get off. That’s annoying.
Here is the nook area all empty:
The bird cage is something I brought from home and hung up on the hook as predecorating 🙂 I think I will leave it there and fill it with some trailing greenery (probably fake).
I did find some broken plaster when doing the wallpaper:
It was a crack, but to repair properly, I had to take off any loose stuff, which made a big patch. You can see concrete behind the plaster. This house has concrete walls, not lathe or dry wall, which makes doing normally easy stuff hard. Like electrical. John got a hammer drill and got one outlet sunk in the wall, but he is really have a hard time with the others than have longer lines that need to be channeled into the concrete with conduit. He was really frustrated today and I think we may leave the remaining electrical boxes on the wall. John wanted to make me happy by sinking them, but it isn’t worth seeing his frustration over it. I want him to enjoy doing the rehab more than that. So, maybe I will decorate them or something. 😀
Here is the rest of the big mess with the wallpaper gone:
We also got rid of that scalloped border over the window and what a difference that made. Shelley got me thinking about a pendant light over the sink the other day. We hadn’t really thought about the lighting yet, but did a fun browsing trip last night. I think I like this pendant:
Our walls are going to be a pale green, so I think it will look good. We also think we have a sink picked out:
It’s a granite composite sink. I don’t want stainless. I want a white sink, but acrylic won’t hold up very well (IMHO). Cast iron was an option, but what a heavy sink! So, we saw the composite and liked the look of it. Might be a different shape, but it will be white.
I had to work on the floors this weekend, too. Normally I would leave these until last, but we have so much wallpaper to remove that we will be doing it after we move in and I wanted the floors done while the house is empty. So, I rented a sander while John worked on electrical and moved some business stuff into the basement. This is the worst part of the floor.
This machine is really, really heavy. It’s an orbital sander, which I wanted to try because you can’t damage the floor like you can with a drum sander.
Badass. Or is that safety first?
I did 3 grits of sandpaper over the floor. It was a tough day. I had to do it all in one shot, though, because we had to get the sander back from rental. My shoulders were really tired. Again, strength training has helped me so much to recover from this hard work!
The bad part looks much better now, especially for a 95-year-old floor!:
I patched some of the big scratches, then sanded that down and started putting down poly. It will take a couple days to get that done. So much work to do.
We did get our normal Sunday breakfast bike ride in. We ride 20 miles every Sunday it isn’t raining. John and I made a promise that we are going to take next Saturday off from rehab and do a Lake George ride. Now watch it will rain LOL!