Clear to close

We finally got word this morning that we have a clear to close on the old house.  It was getting so frustrating because back at the beginning of the month, it was supposed to be within a week. Then the buyer’s mortgage broker said early the next week, then at the end of the week, then the next week and so on.  It was to the point that we were ready to pull the plug on the deal because we didn’t want it to drag out for 90 days with the possibility the deal wouldn’t go through at all.  Yesterday rolled around which was the latest deadline and still they didn’t have anything for us.  So frustrating.

However, then the call came this morning with the all clear. Thank goodness! We had no control over the situation other than waiting. The mortgage broker was really unprofessional. He should have just not set any of those arbitrary dates.  I imagine the buyer was probably pretty frustrated with him as well.  Anyhoo – we are working to coordinate the actual closing, which should be early next week, but there are no more hurdles to go over other than all of us getting to the closing alive and the house not burning down (did I just say that??)  It will be an incredible relief.  I still feel somewhat anxious and probably will until we actually close the deal.

A couple of fun updates.  Those that follow the garden posts may remember our little utility whatever that is in the front garden bed.



Obviously this isn’t going anywhere.  I thought it looked like a little mushroom and so I did decide to paint it.  Rustoleum  red and white and now I have a cute little mushroom!  I just used a Q-tip to paint the circles on. 



It makes me giggle to see it.

We had rain the other night, which we desperately needed. That meant I actually did some work on my trunk for the first time in a few weeks!  Gotta get this thing done to sell.  Anyway, I had put on the aluminum paint and it was very bright and shiny:



The wood still has an old look to it and I wanted to tone down the metal, so I got some antique glaze to put on the aluminum.



You just apply it with a cloth or lightly with a paintbrush and then wipe off to get the effect you want.  I think it really helped with the look.  It’s subtle, but I like the difference.


Next step is polyurethane on the outside for a satin finish and lining the inside.  Next rainy day 😀

Be Sociable, Share!

20 thoughts on “Clear to close

    1. Lori Post author

      It does have the crocodile pattern. You couldn’t see it through the rust and now the antiquing glaze lets the pattern show better.

  1. Cammy@TippyToeDiet

    I know you’ll be relieved to put an exclamation point on that sale! I’m sure there are a lot of happy memories in that house, but it will be nice to fully open yourself up to making new memories in your new house.

    Love the mushroom, partly because it’s so whimsical and partly because it no longer looks like a {insert male body part here} and the trunk. Antiquing glaze is one of my favorite mediums to use — it adds so much more dimension to a piece. Happy weekend, Lori!
    Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog post ..On Distractions and Focus

  2. Jeannie/Qlts2Slo

    Whoohoo on the old house news!!!!

    LOL on the mushroom … I have been waiting for that and you did not disappoint.

  3. Helen

    Today, after a couple of weeks of stuff I should blog about but haven’t had time to, I woke up feeling refreshed and like things might be turning back towards some normality. It may be that seeing your cute mushroom, beautiful trunk, and hearing that your closing IS going to happen has iced the cake of my first less stressed day in weeks. I am so happy for you!!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge