Picture heavy post ahead! The first floor bath is complete now. When we moved in last fall, this was what it looked like. Remember that? I do!
Not shown is the damaged wall. The room was functional once we replaced the wax ring on the toilet and we just wanted a quick lipstick makeover on it since there were other pressing $$ needs in the house. So, it was wallpaper removal, wall repair and paint. Easy peasy. We went with same green paint we used in the kitchen to go with the exisiting floor.
The sink is really oversized for this small room and it most certainly isn’t our style. But, it was good enough for a while.
Fast forward to October and one thing caused a chain reaction of renovation. The leaking tub in the basement bathroom is what started it all. When that came out, we decided to add the utlity sink and redo the bathroom. We had planned to use the fixtures from the first floor, which meant that room had to be done so we could take those fixtures. Good thing I had already bought that $25 sewing cabinet for this project – thinking it would be much into the future. D’oh!
I had to remove the sewing machine, which was not really that hard. Just a million screws. Then we had a nice empty cabinet.
I also removed that stuff on the door, which I salvaged for a cute storage thing that I need to take a picture of and show you. Then it needed refinishing. I didn’t want to strip the piece since the finish was good, just faded. Enter Polyshades:
You go right over the existing finish. It is a tinted polyurethane. Very cool product, but you have to do coats thin or they drip, which I found out. Then I coated the top with several coats of the spar urethane because just poly isn’t enough to protect from water. I don’t want to have to worry about water drops on the sink. Hopefully that will do the job. Anyway, this is the nice detail on the doors and one of my favorite things about the cabinet.
While I was at the the festival of trees on Sunday, John drilled the holes into the cabinet for the sink and the faucet using a hole saw. I guess he was tired of me fretting about it LOL!
Saturday was spent ripping up the rest of the old tile, painting and laying the new floor. I got almost all of that done except cutting the little pieces around the sink lines and radiator. Sunday I did about 3/4 of the grout and finished up Monday. I made sure I grouted around the toilet and sink areas so that would have time to dry to put those fixtures in on Monday. Here is the floor:
We needed a hole in the back of the cabinet to go over the wall drain. It would have been nice to move the water lines to come out of the wall, but they were in the floor and you know we have those cement walls – so that wasn’t an option.
The plan now that the cabinet is in place is to put a board across the bottom so we have a shelf for TP and cleaners. Just a little storage, which we didn’t have before.
We got the fixtures in without too much of a problem. The only thing we had trouble with was water leakage around the pop drain in the sink. That took a lot of finagling, multiple tries and some plumber’s putty and now we have a sink!
I LOVE this sink. It turned out better than I had hoped!
The whole room:
I am just so, so happy with how this turned out. Bonus is that there were no injuries or tears during this reno LOL! It’s always nice when a finished project looks like what the head imagined. This is much more fitting to Radiance Manor than what was there before. The cabinet ended up costing around $180 to complete. The sewing table was the cheapest thing and the faucet was the most expensive. Now I am rethinking that mirror, but I won’t worry about that for now 😉 The nice thing is that in a couple years when we do the renovation on the master bath – I know we can create whatever vanity we want to fit that space. It was really an easy project and I have to say might be my favorite one ever so far. That’s it for renovations for the rest of the year — other than finishing up the downstairs bath…